Friday 7 September 2012

Its time to 'Ber'......

Right,

The 'BER' months (SeptemBER, OctoBER, NovemBER, DecemBER ~ see what happened there? ) so I have and will officially get started. That means my household kicks up a gear to get ready for winter and subsequently Christmas.

The house needs heat proofing and after a winter in the house last year I have somewhat figured out where the cold spots are and what needs to be tackled.

The hallway is a main one. You come in the front door and are immediately met by the stairs, through the door to the right is my living room, then up the first half of the stairs is a small landing with a window, then up the second part are the three doors to the bedrooms. There is no heating in the hallway which basically means on a cold morning you have to walk out into a fridge which is not pleasant. I need to find some way to warm this room.

Last year I put a curtain over the front door and there is a blind on the small window, but apart from that I'm somewhat confused. There are two plug sockets at the bottom of the stairs though which means I could plug in a small heater to let the heat rise if I could find a plug timer for the mornings.

Also our central heating is VERY noisy. It makes one hell of a racket so if I can not turn this on in the night then that would be good. We have just brought the kids sleeping bags for camping but Im thinking these might be worth using in winter to keep them warm. Our double sleeping bag can be unzipped and put over our duvet, plus my partner who tends to hog the duvet means I would actually get a blanket. Ben's is more a cocoon style bag which he is loving sleeping in , and Holly's can be unzipped to a big blanket as well.

Other cold spots are the bathroom and back door, which similar to the front door in that the back door opens and directly in front is the bathroom. Thus making this very cold and unpleasant so that needs a door curtain too I think.

Other than that I need to find or make the dog a new bed.

Then make a stock list for the freezer, because we live on top of a hill and its is horrid, absolutely horrid walking to the nearest shop which is a 15 minute downhill walk away, and then about 20 minutes back up depending on what you are carrying! So needless to say with an 8 year old and a 2 year old in cold weather it can get very unpleasant indeed and my partner is not home until 6pm so in those hours Id need to be prepared.

I think I need to get list making.

Righto Im off to do just that

No comments:

Post a Comment