Monday 31 December 2012

Playing with my processor

So today I have been experimenting with my new food processor.

I did before hand however decided that cleaning the new blades would be a good idea because they'd been in a box and almost amputated the top of my middle finger - ouch (or a more deserving expletive)

I decided I usually use the basic recipe for a sponge of 225g flour, 225g butter, 225g sugar and 3 eggs. So today I decided I would try a new recipe as I find this usually ends up a bit flat and pathetic looking. So today I turned to my trusty Maw Broons Cookbook that my Mother In Law Sandy brought me for my birthday a few years back. Its fab.


This is Maw Broon;s Cookbook. Inside as you can see it looks like a well used family cookbook and the way it is written makes me laugh if you can decypher it well enough but having a half scottish family I think its the best thing Ive read with old style scottish recipes. Id definitely recommend it. Anyway I went for the basic recipe in this book. 100g butter, 125g sugar, 4 eggs and 200g flour. 




Below is the finished split cake. I need to work on my halving skills but the recipe made a very dense dry Old Style cake. It was tasty but proper old style! 



This is whats left after I added the cream! 

Should also say the British Double Cream I had from work, I again did the waste last night and my boss let me bring a whole carrier bag of mini Gem lettuces home for my rabbits. 3 tubs of 600ml double cream and 2 French sticks.....all for free. So today I have put them to good use.

Right off to meal plan a bit

x Sammy x

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried halving the cake with a length of sewing thread. Take a length of thread, wrap it round the cake where you want it cut, cross the two ends of the thread and then pull gently til the thread has sliced through the cake & can be pulled free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh No I hadnt but I will make sure to try that next time Im baking a sponge cake! Thanks Hester. x

      Delete