Saturday 23 April 2011

My newest ~ experimental ~ challenge!




As most of you know by now I work for a well known supermarket branch.

But I have become absolutely mortified lately at the stuff my shop has been getting rid of - the piles of waste is just simply ridiculous!


We had 38 multipack bags (6 bags in a bag) of Walkers crisps wasted a few weeks ago because they were a week over their sell by date. So we opened one packet, sampled them and offered customers one to taste - explained that they were slightly out of date and gave 20 of them away rather than bin them so I am setting myself a challenge.

I am going to ATTEMPT until my next pay (bar bread/milk/babys stuff - ie nappies/milk and juice) live off the shops reduced sections and my cupboards - now I havent done a big shop this month so have a few basics in like tins and pasta but my fridge and freezer are almost empty bar a few straddling bits and pieces.


So as far as I'm concerned the reduced section will cover me for meat and vegetables basically with the rest being baked or used up form my cupboards/stock ~ which by the way isn't a great deal and my next pay day isn't until the 19th May.

I mean for obvious reasons I wont scrimp on Holly's things as she's only 9 months old but instead of jars she will be getting things home-made now and Benjamin gets a very upset stomach from the cheaper juice so for that I will stick to Mr T's brand one but everything else will be reduced section items.

I'm hoping in theory this will
a) help me to get back in the kitchen and make meals as I've been severely slacking recently
b) help me with meal experimenting and trying new recipes
c)help me save money
d)help me get back in shape as I have to walk at least half hour to get to Mr T


Also if you fancy a similiar challenge or any help with food waste then please visit this site

I will make a list of cupboard / freezer / fridge contents and post them and I'll see how I manage for this next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment