Wednesday 13 March 2013

What a Day........and its only 12.49!

Well

I decided this morning to give growing my own another go.
Sadly last year my greenhouse took a battering with the delightful Welsh weather and all the fun that living on top of a mountain near the coast brings so I have had to spend on a smaller new growing space.

£11 for a cloche set in Wilkinson's but it should do the job nicely.

I did try last year but went a bit 'gun ho' and tried to grow everything , which ultimately wasnt great because I quite frankly lost interest when the bad weather hit and then it all went to pot fairly quickly.

This year I have decided to be sensible and focus on a few things well rather than lots of things badly.

So I have brought myself
Cloche ~ £11
Seed trays ~ £1.25 for 3
Seed Tray Trays ~ £1.50 for 3
A window tray propergator with lid ~ £2.50
A kitchen garden pot (sweet bell peppers) ~ £1.25
Cucumber seeds ~ £1.60
Tumbling Toms ~ £1.60
Lettuce leaves ~ 98p
Spring Onions ~ 80p
Peas ~ £1
Cress seeds ~ £1.59

All in all costing £25.07

I already have a giant bag of compost though out the back that Owen got me from CountryWide and he works down the road from it so hopefully I will manage to get over there at some point to check out what they have got in there.

I brought the cress for the kids - Ben is fascinated by nature and wants to grow something so him and Holly cna both grow Cress - I also found these little hedgehog growing kits in B&M for 89p so have brought them one each as well

A fair bit of the veg we have brought we will eat and use. In the summer months too my mother in law tends to invite us over for BBQs quite a bit so at least this year I should be able to provide the salad for them and she is also a keen salad eater - but she has wild rhubarb and an abundance of strawberries that we can exchange between us which is nice.

In other news - Mabel is in heat so her and Bruno are in separate rooms at the minute. I hate the idea of dogs being intentionally bred for a profit and am a big supporter of rescue centres. I just don't understand why people would willingly add to the dog population when there are so many lovely dogs needing homes already. I just cant understand it. She is still a bit grumpy with Bruno (understandable at the minute though) but we have realised its only when he is near her seat, when he is on the other sofa with me, and she comes over to see him they are fine, and they will touch noses, he will sit on the sofa and she sits on the floor nicely with about a foot space between them but still no attacks or anything which is very good news for us........still going slow and steady. (should reiterate that we do allow Bruno in the living room in the evening but only when Owen and Me are both home, he sits on one sofa with one dog and I sit on the other sofa with the other dog)

I am somewhat upset with Bruno at the minute as well. I brought a nice pack of chicken drumsticks today which I intended to herb/spice up and cook for tea and owen was going to take the leftovers to work wel I cma home from shopping to find Bruno had been in the fridge, ripped open the new packet and helped himself to 2 possibly 3 (cant remember for the life of me how many were in the pack) que much frantic-ness from me - especially since I cancelled Bruno's insurance policy the other day to add Mabel so both dogs were covered and it has another 5 days before it starts. but after some research I have read about the BARF and the RAW food diet dogs can eat which includes chicken bones and apparently that they were raw is a good thing as they are softer and easier to chew, most that may happen (touch wood) is that he may have an upset belly for a day or two.........lets keep fingers crossed that this is the case.
Also suggested to Owen that when we brought Mabel home my boss gave me a box of Bakers Meaty Meals ball things, which we tried her on and she wouldn't eat them so we gave them to Bruno to try just to use them up as I didn't want to waste them and they have a laxative effect on him since he is an older doggy - so we finished the box last night but I'm wondering whether to go and buy another box and feed him a few to help things pass through smoothly if that makes sense.
Should also add I now have a baby lock on the fridge as well.

Right so on that note Im off now to find something else for dinner and let him out for a bit.

Talk soon and I'll be back later with an update.

Sammy
x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment